Monday, April 20, 2015

Rajita Schade - till Sunday 26th

About: Transience always brings with it disquiet, displacement, and disparity.However it also opens up fresh perspectives and demands realignment. As a subject for my work in the past years I have drawn from the nature of plants for their aspects of  beauty, resilience, perpetuation, love, perfection and desire, transience and mortality.

The last relocation has changed and moved much in my inner workings and that of my work. The act of painting is a constant but there is a shift in perspective. Impervious backgrounds have opened up and become vulnerable. Disturbing spots of colour have appeared on skillfully painted portraits , transitions have become more emphatic, disorientation has crept in. The transition seems to have laid bare questions. These works locate themselves in my past  and carry the promise of a future that is uncertain. And I choose to share them because as I am finally accepting of the doubts and uncertainties that we carry and despite which we still navigate through our lives to the best of our abilities.

My point of reference to break into the landscape of Bangalore physically and metaphorically was Lalbagh Botanical Gardens. Lalbagh Botanical Garden  as we know is not only a historical social and cultural landmark in Bangalore  but also a botanical ground for experimentation. Species of flora from different parts of the world were brought here and planted .  Much like myself. The plants have thrived and so have I.


- Rajita Schade, studied Applied Arts at the Faculty of Fine Arts, M.S. University Baroda and later attended the Wildner College for Web Design Stuttgart, Germany. She has participated in various shows, both in India and abroad. Rajita lives and works in Bangalore

No comments: