Friday, October 30, 2015

Still and still moving - Saturday 31st @ 15.30 & 19.30


STILL AND STILL MOVING is set in North Delhi and Gurgaon. It is the story of Partho, a reclusive writer in his forties, and Adil, a young college student. Their fractured love affair plays out across two poles of a changing metropolis. The play also features intimate observations on the interactions of men on the Delhi Metro. 


This play has no specific roots. I wanted to write the love story of two men, and to set it at two ends of the NCR – North Delhi, where I studied, and Gurgaon, where I lived at that time. This also brought into play the world of the Delhi Metro, the distance between as it were. Every day as I travelled to rehearsal, I would observe the transient and often intimate interactions of men on the Metro – friends, strangers, rivals for a moment. My affinity for understatement - not always useful in a love story - resulted in earlier versions of this play being too muted. IΚΌve been fortunate to have tussled with the criticism of this play by friends, mentors and actors. All of it has pressed me to plumb deeper, to expose the wound. Finally, the quiet architecture remains, though within it I hope there is some clamour.

---Neel Chaudhuri

No comments: